How do we make science more accessible?
To answer that question we partnered with IDEA-STEM. Here are a few things we learned through their accessibility training:
- Alternative (alt) text to all images.
- Short URL’s for links to references with a meaningful title.
- Avoid decorative fonts.
- Include video captions
- Optimize the contrast for any text displayed on an image.
- Number of hashtags is minimized in our caption. Any additional hashtags is placed in the comments section.
- We minimize the use of emojis and never use them as text replacement.
We are still learning, but we are so very grateful to IDEA-STEM’s insight on how we could improve and make our work more accessible.
What are we missing? Let us know in the comments your tips for accessible science!