The National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) has updated its COVID-19 vaccine guidelines.
Their decision reflects the current COVID-19 situation in Canada (1,10,11,12):
- COVID-19 activity levels are overall moderate or low.
- Death numbers remain low, but have been increasing since July.
- The total number of hospital beds occupied due to COVID-19 is increasing (i.e. over 3,900 beds as of Oct. 24), with ICU beds mainly being occupied by individuals 80 years and older.
- Omicron’s XBB sub-lineage represents 94% of all variants currently circulating in Canada – EG.5 and its sub-lineages being the most abundant.
- A significant number of people living in Canada have developed immunity through prior infection, being lowest in those under 2 years old – older population seems to have higher immunity from vaccination alone.
We know these guidelines can be difficult to navigate sometimes. Don’t hesitate to ask us if you are not sure about something.