Here are 5 climate facts to keep in your back pocket:
- Over 97% of climate scientists agree that climate change is driven and accelerated by human activities.
- Climate cycles do occur naturally, but nowhere near the unprecedented rate of change we are seeing right now.
- Even in small concentrations carbon dioxide has a great impact on climate.
- Both water vapour and CO2 are greenhouse gasses but carbon dioxide has an important impact we can control.
- Natural phenomena contribute to climate change, but they are no longer the leading cause: humans are.
Before the Industrial Revolution, CO2 concentrations were 280 parts per million (ppm). Now, they are 419 ppm: likely the highest levels in 2 million years (7,15,16)
This warming is happening too rapidly for ecosystems and countries to adapt, thus increasing the risk of climate catastrophes with massive economic, environmental, and health costs (7,8).
What other climate misconceptions have you heard lately? Or maybe you have heard some claims and are unsure if they are true or not? Share them with us. We can help!